The Lake Overholser Bridge in Oklahoma City is a proud reminder of Route 66. Construction of the Overholser Bridge began in 1924 and the bridge opened for traffic in August of 1925. For more than three decades the bridge served as a critical link for motorists traveling across the State and country. In 1958, the Federal Government took action, replacing this segment of Route 66 with a new four-lane divided highway just to the north. The new section included a wider bridge, while local traffic continued to pass over the Lake Overholser Bridge.
Today it carries only local traffic, yet the symmetry and size of the old bridge still catch the eye of drivers speeding by on the more recent replacement lanes just north of the bridge. Officially, the Overholser Bridge lost its association with Route 66 in 1958, but its size and symmetry and long-time service as part of old Route 66, make it a landmark today for anyone traveling America�s Mother Road. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.